Universities and Austin
Because I live in Austin and love this city.
Universities and Colleges
Austin Community College
St. Edward's University
Texas State University in Round Rock
The University of Texas at Austin
Texas A&M University
Dallas / Fort Worth / Arlington
Southern Methodists University
Texas Christian University
Dallas Baptist University
Texas Wesleyan University
University of North Texas
The University of Texas at Dallas
Texas Women's University
Texas A&M University-Commerce
The University of Texas at Arlington
The University of Texas at El Paso
El Paso Community College
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at El Paso
Baylor College of Medicine
University of Houston
University of Houston Downtown
Houston Community College
Sam Houston State University
Prairie View A&M University
San Jacinto University
Texas Southern University
University of St. Thomas
University of Texas Health Sciences Center
The University of Texas at San Antonio
Texas Lutheran University
San Antonio College
St. Mary's University
Our Lady of the Lake University
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
University of the Incarnate Word
Texas State University
All things Austin
If you are looking to connect with someone, nothing beats a live face to face meeting over a cup of coffee. Below are some of my favorites by general location.
- Beware Coffee – 502 W. 30th St. – Excellent outdoor space
- Cherrywood Coffeehouse - 1400 E 38th 1/2 St
- Epoch Coffee - 221 W North Loop Blvd
- Houndstooth Coffee - 4200 N Lamar Blvd Ste 120
- Monkey Nest - 5353 Burnet Road - just south of 2222 on Burnet
- Pacha – 4618 Burnet Rd.
- Red Horn Coffee House & Brewing Co. – 13010 W. Parmer Ln.
- Thunderbird Coffee - 1401 Koenig Lane (2222) in between Burnet and Lamar. Great place with excellent coffee and beer - one of my favorites.
- ALTA’s Café – 74 Trinity St. – Right off Lady Bird Lake
- Caffé Medici - 1101 W Lynn St
- Caffé Medici - 200 Congress Avenue
- Cenote - 1010 E Cesar Chavez St.
- Halcyon – 218 W. 4th St. - A true downtown Austin establishment
- Irene’s – 506 West Ave.
- Juan Pelota - 400 Nueces Street
- Mozart's Coffee - 3825 Lake Austin Blvd. A fantastic place to meet an investor, entrepreneur or co-founder. And the coffee is excellent - another favorite of mine.
- Cuvee – 2000 E 6th St.
- Figure 8 – 1111 Chicon St.
- Flat Track Coffee – 1619 E. Cesar Chavez St.
- Fleet Coffee - 2427 Webberville Rd.
- Flitch Coffee - 641 Tillery St.
- Sa-Tén Coffee and Eats - 916 Springdale Rd
- The Buzz Mill – 1505 Town Creek Rd.
- Vintage Heart Coffee – 1405 E. 7th St.
- Wright Bros. Brew & Brew – 500 Sam Marcos St. – Coffee and beer, both locally sourced
- Bouldin Creek Café – 1900 S 1st St. – An Austin original
- Jo’s – 1300 S. Congress Ave. – A true Austin establishment with fantastic breakfast tacos
- Manana Coffee & Juice – 1603 S. Congress Ave.
- Once Over Coffee Bar – 2009 S. 1st St.
- Patika – 2159 S. Lamar Blvd.
- Radio Coffee & Beer - 4208 Manchaca Rd
- Seventh Flag – 1506 S. 1st St.
- Stouthaus Coffee – 4715 S. Lamar Blvd.
- Summermoon Coffee Bar - 3115 S. 1st St.
Annual Austin Events
- Austin Chronicle Hot Sauce Festival – Great festival for all the hot sauce lovers
- Austin City Limits – Austin’s premiere music festival held in Zilker Park
- Austin Marathon Half-Marathon – Downhill to downtown
- Blues on the Green – KGSR’s annual music series held in Zilker Park. A summer classic!
- Pecan Street Festival – Local artisans and food vendors for the biggest local festival in Austin
- Statesman Cap10K – Major running events in downtown Austin
- SXSW – Once a small tech conference, now one of the major tech and media events in the world
- Texas Book Festival – One of the major book and author festivals in the country
- Trail of Lights – The Christmas lights showcase held in Zilker Park
- Zilker Kite Festival – Great for kids and family
- Austin Parks and Recreation - Need to get outside? Need a place to take your little ones for some fun. Check out the local Austin parks.
- Austin Parks Foundation - If you are looking for something to do, check our the Austin Parks Foundation calendar. I recommend movies in the park.
- Barton Creek Greenbelt – Texas’ version of city hiking, right in the middle of Austin.
- Barton Springs Pool – Recreational natural springs swimming pool in Zilker Park. Get there early!
- Bastrop State Park – Excellent state park, about 30 minutes east of Austin
- Deep Eddy Pool – Close to Barton Springs; smaller, but less crowded
- Enchanted Rock – Great swimming and hiking spot
- Guadalupe River State Park – Great camping and tubing spot
- Hamilton Pool – A short drive out of the side, but well worth it
- Lady Bird Hike and Bike Trail – Unquestionably the best running trail in the country – wraps 10 miles around downtown Austin
- McKinney Falls State Park – Very close to Austin
- Mount Bonnell – Fantastic hike area and for sunset viewing
- Pedernales Falls State Park – Good spot for tubing, watch out for rapids and flash flooding
- Red Bud Isle – Great place to take the dogs
- Texas Rowing Center – Classic Austin establishment that offers a variety of water sport rentals
- Zilker Park – The crown jewel of Austin, great place for a picnic or Frisbee golf
Things to do
- Austin - (austintexas.org) - this site has everything you need for you to get acclimated to Austin ASAP. Shopping, events, food, family and more!
- Austin City Guide by Austin Food Bloggers Alliance - Need a break or need to break your routine? Check out this site and remember why Austin is so amazing.
- Austin Chronicle - News, food, events, music, arts and culture.
- Food - (austin.eater.com) - For the foodie in all of us! Check out all the great spots in Austin.
- Do512family - What to do in Austin with kids.
- Meetups - Pretty much there is a meetup for everything. Whatever your passion - you can find it here.
- UT Sports - Love sports? We have the University of Texas in our own back yard - take advantage of it!
- UT Theater - Not into sports? Check out the University of Texas theater productions.
- Zip Lining - Need a team building event? Want to have some fun with the family? Check out Cypress Valley Canopy Tours.