Angel, Venture and Private Equity in Texas
+What is an Angel and how is that different from Venture Capital?
An Angel investor is someone who typically provides a one-time injection of funding to your small business or startup. The amounts can vary but usually are anywhere from $10K to $100K. Many times an Angel investor is the entrepreneur's friends and family and generally are focused on helping the business succeed.
A Venture Capital firm invests in small business and start-ups with high growth potential and long term value. The investments are a generally higher risk with a higher return profile with investments ranging anywhere from $250K to $5M+ depending on the company, industry and business model. In addition to capital in exchange for an equity stake in your company, venture firms also provide management expertise, avenues to follow on financing and a superb network for your business to grow.
+How can you find out if someone has received funding?
Check out the site FormDs.com as this will help you understand who is raising money and how much. A Form D filing contains:
- Amount of money raised
- Equity or debt issuance
- Industry category
- Names of the executives and directors
- Addresses for the company, executives, and directors
- Other information - brokers used, commission paid
+Texas Angel Groups
- Aggie Angels - College Station, TX
- Alliance of Texas Angel Networks
- Baylor Angel Network -- Waco, TX
- Capital Factory - Austin, TX
- Central Texas Angel Network - Austin, TX. Ask for Claire England - simply the best!
- Concho Valley Angel Network - San Angelo, TX
- Cowtown Angels - Ft. Worth, TX
- GOOSE Society of Texas - Houston, TX GOOSE (Grand Order of Successful Entrepreneurs) society is a super angel investment group with a proven track record, diverse expertise, and an extensive network that reaches both coasts.
- Hill Country Angel Network, Austin, TX
- Houston Angel Network - Houston, TX
- Lubbock Angel Network - Lubbock, TX
- North Texas Angel Network - Dallas, TX
- Research Valley Funds – College Station, TX
- Southwest Angel Network for Social Impact – Austin, TX
- TEN (Texas Entrepreneur Networks) - Austin, TX
- Texoma Angels - Wichita Falls, TX
- TiE Austin - Austin, TX and worldwide. Supports entrepreneurs by offering education, mentorship, networking, and funding opportunities. Ask for Vivek Bhatia.
- Tyler Texas Angel Network - Tyler, TX
- West Texas Angel Network - Amarillo, TX
- Wilco Angel Network, Austin, Austin, TX
+Venture and Private Equity
- 1839 Ventures -1839 Ventures is an Austin-based venture capital firm that provides funding to high-potential technology oriented companies
- Alara Capital - Technology
- ATX Seed Ventures - Early stage
- Austin Foodshed Investors – Local sustainable food companies
- Austin Ventures – Technology
- Blue Sage Capital – Middle Market
- Buildgroup - Founded by Lanham Napier, former Rackspace CEO with former Rackspace General Counsel Alan Schoenbaum and former Rackspace General Manager Jim Curry. Can't wait to see what they invest in!
- Capital Factory - Tech and early stage
- CAVU Venture Partners - Consumer focused
- Corsa Ventures - Technology
- Covera Ventures – Early stage technology
- Dos Rios Partners – Private equity
- DreamIt Ventures – Healthcare
- Emergent Technologies – Innovation focus
- Escalate Capital – Mezzanine capital for growth companies
- Eyes of Texas Partners - Early stage technology companies
- Farwest Capital - High growth entrepreneurs
- G-51 Capital – Technology and innovation focus
- Hawkeye Partners – Real estate private equity
- Hurt Family Investments - Brett Hurt
- Limestone Capital Advisors – Tech and medical devices
- Liahona Ventures – Gaming, consumer, health, and wellness
- LiveOak Venture Partners - Tech and early stage
- MicroVentures - A platform that gives both accredited and non-accredited investors access to invest in startups. Not exactly a traditional VC, but a great resource for the right startup.
- Next Coast Ventures - It invests in entrepreneurs who are building disruptive companies in big markets.
- Next Step Capital Partners - Texas focused. Invests in growing companies in exchange for a share of future revenue.
- Notley Ventures - It funds and supports teams with the passion & tenacity to truly challenge the status quo. Whether it's for-profit or non-profit, it prides itself in funding innovation that creates a positive impact in the world.
- Pasadera Capital - Impact investing, energy and life sciences. Ask for Scott Collier.
- Peak Rock Capital – Middle market private equity firm
- Post Oak Ventures – Medical, health and wellness. Some consumer products
- PTV Healthcare Capital – Healthcare
- RealCo Seed Fund - RealCo is the #1 Seed Fund Program for B2B Startups (in San Antonio, Texas)
- S3 Venture Capital – Technology
- Sante Ventures – Life Sciences
- Sentient Ventures – Micro private equity and micro subordinated debt funds
- Silverton Partners – Early stage venture capital
- Slow Money Austin - Local food enterprises
- Source Spring – Advisory, funding, and heavy non-profit causes
- Spindletop Capital - Healthcare
- True Wealth Ventures - The True Wealth Ventures investment thesis is that women-led companies perform better financially, yet are an untapped market for investors since only 3% of venture dollars go to women-led startups and 15% to those with a woman on the leadership team.
*The firms below have offices in Austin
- Advantage Capital – Agribusiness, manufacturing, consumer products
- ARCH Venture Partners – Emphasis on co-funding build-up
- Centennial Venture Partners – Software and tech
- Centerpoint Ventures – Focus on Texas investments
- NextGen Venture Partners – Little bit of everything, in multiple major cities
*These firms below have investments in Austin
- Adams Street Partners – Little bit of everything
- Battery Ventures – Software, IT, and consumer internet and mobile
- First Round – One of the original funds – invested in major companies such as Uber and Blue Apron
- Floodgate – Digital business and consumer technology
- Institutional Venture Partners – Focus on growth companies
- Mercury Fund – Novel software and science-based focus
- New Enterprise Associates – Technology and health care
- Norwest Venture Partners – Tech and online commerce
+Venture and Private Equity / Investors
- GOOSE Society of Texas - GOOSE (Grand Order of Successful Entrepreneurs) society is a super angel investment group with a proven track record, diverse expertise and an extensive network that reaches both coasts.
- Houston Health Ventures
- Houston Ventures
- Mercury Fund
- Murphree Venture Partners
- Texas Halo Fund