- A Good Hard Kick In the Ass: Basic Training for Entrepreneurs – by Austin’s own Rob Adams, 2002
- A Primer on Technology Licensing – Gregory J. Battersby and Charles W. Grimes, 1996
- Big Bang Disruption: Strategy in the Age of Devastating Innovation - Larry Downes and Paul Nunes, 2014
- Blue Ocean Strategy (Expanded Edition) - W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne, 2015
- Business Model Generation - Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur, 2010
- How to Win Friends and Influence People - by Dale Carnegie, 1936
- If You Build It They Will Come – by Austin’s own Rob Adams, 2010
- Ignore Everybody: and 39 Other Keys to Creativity - Hugh MacLeod, 2009
- Lincoln on Leadership – Donald Phillips, 1992
- Naturally Caffeinated: Addicted to Entrepreneurship - by Austin's own Steve Guengerich, 2015
- Term Sheets and Valuations – Alex Wilmerding, 2006
- The E-Myth Revisited - Michael E. Gerber, 1995
- The Four Lenses of Innovation - Rowan Gibson, 2015
- The Four Steps to the Epiphany - Steve Gary Blank, 2005
- The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement - Eliyahu M. Goldratt, 1984
- The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book That Will Change The Way You Do Business - Clayton M. Christenen, 1997
- The Innovators's Toolkit: 50+ Techniques for Predictable and Sustainable Organic Growth - David Silverstein, Philip Samuel, Neil DeCarlo, 2009
- The Lean Startup: How Today's Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses - Eric Ries, 2011
- The Medici Effect – Frans Johannsson, 2006
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg, 2012.
- The Startup Owner's Manual - Steve Blank and Bob Dorf, 2012. A must ready for any startup founder.
- The Startup of You: Adapt to the Future, Invest in Yourself, and Transform Your Career - Reid Hoffman, 2012
- The Successful Marketing Plan: A Disciplined and Comprehensive Approach - Roman G. Hiebing Jr. and Scott W. Cooper, 2003. Great reference book for startups.
- The Wisdom of Failure: How to Learn the Tough Leadership Lessons Without Paying the Price - Laurence G. Weinzimmer and Jim McConoughey, 2012
- Venture Deals – Brad Feld and Jason Mendelson, 2011
- Just Legal - Find a Lawyer. Compare top-rated lawyers in your area and schedule a consultation in seconds
- Rocket Lawyer - Create legal documents fast.
- Silicon Hills Lawyer - an Austin startup lawyer helps startups and founders navigate through startup law and venture capital. A phenomenal site with a plethora of useful information by José Ancer.
- Startup Lawyer - Startup legal matters.
- Traverse Legal - Intellectual property (copyrights, trademarks, and patents) and internet law. Brian A. Hall is professional, knowledgeable, responsive and efficient.
- Upcounsel - Startup Law Resources. This lawyer-run page provides free, in-depth answers to hundreds of FAQs that business owners should be aware of prior to launch. Topics touch on: raising venture capital, protecting intellectual property, incorporating a startup, and everything in between.
Networking and Events
- ATX Startup Crawl – A pub crawl for Austin startups to network and socialize
- Austin Startup Digest - Curated by Josh Baer (the Executive Director of the Capital Factory). Sign up now!
- Austin Tech Happy Hour – Lists upcoming happy hours for the tech community throughout Austin
- Capital Factory Events Page -The Capital Factory often hosts meetups, happy hours and social events
- Eventbrite - Austin startup events.
- Food & Tech ATX – Social events for startups and for food and beverage startups to showcase products
- Meetups - Pretty much there is a meetup for everything. Whatever your passion - you can find it here.
- Startup Games – An Olympics for startups while giving back to the Austin community
- Tech Ranch Events Page – Tech Ranch often hosts happy hours and networking mixers
- TeXchange - TeXchange promotes the entrepreneurial environment in Texas and develops the next generation of executives for technology and life sciences companies. The Austin chapter brings together subject matter experts, industry thought leaders and proven entrepreneurs for informative and educational discussions on current topics in business.
Tips and Tricks
- Email Verifier - If you are not quite sure if you have the correct email format use this free service to see if the email is valid.
- Factiva - want to do a quick "news run" but can't afford Dow Jones Factiva? Head to the Austin Public Library and get your card to get access to Factiva (must be an Austin resident). It has more than 26,000 sources from 159 countries in 22 languages, plus company reports and current and historical market data.
- FormDs.com - Who is raising money and how much?
- Mozenda - Web scraping software that is awesome
- PDF to Word Converter - Need help converting Word, Excel, PowerPoint to PDF or vice versa - this site can help.
- Serps - Free keyword rank checker
- Similarsites - Enter in your site and it will find similar sites based on the content.
- Virtual Private Library - From the site, "The Virtual Private Library™ is powered by Subject Tracer Bots™ that continuously search, monitor and update for custom virtual library subject(s) that are listed as an unique ontology subject tree and directory including resource utilization of blogs, wikis, listserv® and news aggregators." If you are looking for sites and information by category - check this site out.