Market research and company information.
Company related research
- 9W Search - By Austin's own Susan Strausberg! All kinds of financial information in an easy to use format.
- AngelList - Austin (can sort by city, date joined, signal)
- Austin Startup List
- Austin Startups List - Great list by segment/category
- Capital Factory List
- DataFox - From DataFox: A modern approach to prospecting, tracking, and pipeline management.
- f6s - Startups, accelerators, and more!
- Hoovers - A great value for business and company intelligence.
- Mattermark - Prospect the worlds fastest growing private companies.
- The Public Register Online - Largest directory of free annual reports on the web.
- PrivCo - Private company financial intelligence.
- TechList - Asia
- ThomasNet.com - Where serious buyers find trusted suppliers.
Primary research is any type of research that you go out into the market and collect yourself or through a vendor. Examples include onsite customer visits, focus groups, panels, surveys, interviews, observations, and ethnographic research. A good researcher knows how to use both primary and secondary sources in addition to trends and competitive intelligence to assess markets and consumers.
- Capital Market Research – Real estate research and analysis
- icanmakeitbetter – Insight communities for product and service development
- JKS – Consumer market research
- Lone Star Market Research – Focus groups, mobile app and online questionnaire services
- Mozaic Group - Austin based. Brian Van Houten and team are market research experts that can help you with any research need you may have.
- Pyle Research - Austin based. Andy Pyle has a wealth of experience providing the best methodology to gain valuable and actionable insights about your market.
- ReconMR – Enterprise client market research
- Tammadge Market Research – Focus groups and surveys
- thinkgroup – Multicultural market research
- Project202 - Austin location. Experience driven application development. Ask for Amber Lindholm - very sharp and talented and can help you craft the right design research program to fit your needs.
- Teresa Neil Strategy + Design - It designs digital experiences for our connected lives. Founded by expert, Theresa Neil, the UX team is comprised of Researchers, Strategists, Designers and Developers. It works with startups and Fortune 100 companies alike, helping to bring new ideas to market. Our sweet spots are interactive data visualizations, cross platform product suites and complex applications.
- Upstream - It helps companies look at the world through a different lens and create greater impact and deliver greater value to customers.
It makes insights actionable and matches solutions to unmet needs of stakeholders. Great company and great talent!
- Guidepoint Global - Direct access to advisors and experts in a broad range of industries. If you need to come up to speed quickly on an area, this may be the best route. It also has the ability to perform surveys which can be extremely useful given the captive target audience.
- GLG (Gerson Lehrman Group) - Similar to Guidepoint Global with a much broader footprint. If you truly need the advice of an expert - GLG can most certainly track down the right individual. This is to be used as needed as it can be a bit pricey for a startup.
Secondary research involves analyzing data collected by someone else or a vendor. This includes reviewing market research reports, databases, equity (think banks like Goldman Sachs or Bank of America) reports, and previous market research studies in order to prove or disprove a hypothesis. Secondary research can be extremely useful to understand high level market size, growth, and key demographics. The advantage is it is relatively low cost but the disadvantage is it can become outdated quite quickly and lead to false conclusions. Lastly, depending on your startup focus, it may be difficult to find the exact market study that fits with your companies product or service.
- Bizjournals (Book of Lists) - Fantastic resource organized by city with all kinds of useful information about companies.
- Global Industry Analysts - An extensive resource with reach into more than 180 major industries.
- IBIS Research - Market reports by industry (NAICS).
- Graphiq- Access to more than 10 billion visualizations from the world's deepest Knowledge Graph. Pretty cool!
- MarketResearch.com - Hub of reports on nearly every industry available for purchase.
- Nielson Top Tens - Discover what Americans are watching, reading, playing, browsing, buying and more.
- Profound.com - Similar to MarketResearch.com but can purchase sections of the reports instead of the entire report.
- Statista - The Statistics Portal for Market Data, Market Research and Market Studies from more than 18,000 Sources.
- Statistics Brain Research Institute (Percentages, Numbers, Financials, Rankings)
- ValuationResources.com - This site has it all - industry information, economic data, and a host of valuation related information for your business.
- Wolfram - More than just data search. It's search, analyze, compute and make sense of our ever changing world.
- ConsumerSearch - Ratings for consumer products.
- Consumer World - Links to nearly everything related to the consumer.
- Mintel - Market intelligence, trends and research.
- American Community Survey - An annual nationwide survey that collects information such as age, race, income, commute time to work, home value, veteran status, and other data.
- Austin Texas - Open government resource.
- Consumer Expenditure Survey - This Bureau of Labor Statistics consists of two surveys, the Quarterly Interview Survey and the Diary Survey, that provide information on the buying habits of American consumers, including data on their expenditures, income, and consumer unit (families and single consumers) characteristics.
- data.gov - The home of the U.S. Government’s open data. Here you will find data, tools, and resources to conduct research, develop web and mobile applications, design data visualizations, and more.
- Economic Census - Survey conducted on 4 million businesses every 5 years.
- Focus Economics - Economic forecasts from the world's best.
- Retail Trade - A smorgasbord of data about the retail world.
- USAspending.gov - Searchable website mandated by the Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006 to give the American public access to information on how their tax dollars are spent. Government contracts, grants, loans and more!
Patents and Intellectual Property
- Collective IP - Discover the most innovative research from Institutions, People, and Companies all around the world.
- Google Patents - Google search for patents.
- Patentinspiration - Search and analyze patents.
- Patents.com - Easy to use patent search and patent lawyer directory.
- USPTO - United States Patent and Trademark Office
- PeopleFinders - find phone numbers, addresses, emails, public records, background checks, businesses and licenses, property records and civil judgment information.
- 451 Group - From 451: 451 Research has over 100 analysts deployed worldwide, each providing critical and timely insight into the competitive dynamics of innovation in emerging technology segments. 451 Research's coverage is organized and delivered through 14 research channels that cover digital infrastructure, from edge to core.
- eConsultancy - From eConsultancy: By arming a global community of marketers and ecommerce professionals with a wide range of research, data, analysis, training, consulting, events and online resources we enable organizations and individual professionals to succeed online.
- eMarketer - Fantastic site where you can find pretty much anything related to marketing.
- Forrester - Solid tech market research firm with great analysts.
- Frost and Sullivan - Comprehensive consulting and market research firm on a host of industries.
- Gartner - Leading IT research and consulting firm.
- IDC - Premier global market intelligence firm. Very good with market size, growth and trends.
- TBR - Technology Business Research. IT analysis through the lens of business. Love the quarterly reports.
- Casandra Report - Amazing trend analysis.
- Cool Hunting - Find the latest design, technology, style, travel, art and culture. If you need inspiration, look no further.
- CoolBusinessIdeas - Based in Singapore. It gathers new ideas, business opportunities and emerging trends - all in one spot.
- Copenhagen Institute for Futures Studies - A gem of a site. Identify and analyze trends that influence the future nationally and internationally.
- David Report - Explores the intersection of design, culture and commercial life.
- JWT Intelligence - One of my favorites. This site helps you keep pulse on the market and identify market shifts.
- Mashable - Just go here once a day to get the scoop on just about everything.
- MoreInspiration - Searchable innovation website.
- NOTCOT - Ideas, innovations and trends.
- PSFK - Trend research and consulting.
- Springwise - Global innovation discovery engine.
- TED - Ideas worth sharing. Where Technology, Entertainment and Design converge.
- Thisiswhyimbroke.com - I love this site! Wonderful for inspiration.
- Trend Hunter - Trend community.
- TrendOriginal - From Trendsspotting.
- Trendsspotting - Trend research company.
- Trendwatching - One of my favorites sites. Trends by industry in .pdf and PowerPoint.
- World Future Society - Society for the trend researchers and futurist.